Graham and I have been watching/listening to Britney Spears for the past hour and it has put me in an excellent mood. I strongly encourage you to revisit some of Britney’s older material if you have not in a while – the denim outfit in Overprotected alone is worth it. Anyways… when you are jamming out to Britney you probably want something healthy (serious ab envy) and also something quick so you can work on your choreography between chopping and frying. Spicy shrimp and kale salad should fit the bill.
This light and easy weekday dinner packs a lot of protein and will leave you with plenty of energy to have a dance party later. Stay tuned for my Boss Kale Salad recipe. Why is it called Boss Kale Salad you may ask? Here’s a hint: crisp prosciutto, burrata and peaches.
- 2lbs raw jumbo shrimp (shells on or off but I prefer on) *if you go for shells on make sure you devein them!!!
- 4 cloves of garlic grated or finely minced
- 2 Jalapeños finely minced (remove the seeds if you are sensitive to spice but cooking them sort of mellows this out)
- 4 green onions finely chopped
- 2 tbs red chile jelly (hello again old friend)
- 3 tbs Avocado oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 2 Limes (zest of one, juice of both)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- S & P
- Inspect and clean shrimp as needed (devein as necessary)
- Combine garlic, jalapeños, green onions, red chile jelly, avocado oil, lime zest and juice and salt and pepper in a large bowl. This is the marinade.
- Add shrimp to the marinade – let sit (in a cool place) for about 30 minutes (approximately how long it would take you to prepare the side dishes!)
- Once you have everything else ready to go, preheat a skillet to medium high heat. Add the shrimp; depending on the size of your pan you may want to do this in two batches as overcrowding is not desirable. When the shrimp are nice and browned on one side flip em. DO NOT OVERCOOK. It should only take around 5 minutes to cook all of the shrimp. Check for doneness before removing from heat, shrimp should be opaque white throughout.
- Garnish with cilantro and maybe another squirt of lime juice.
- Serve hot and eat immediately… though cold shrimps are also very tasty.