Of all the things I have ever made, I fear sometimes that I will only be remembered for this dish. If that is the case… I suppose I could have done a lot worse.
I don’t know what it is about tuna tartare but if you like fish (and even if you are iffy on the fishy) this is just a tasty a** dish and also a little impressive. It is not impressive because it is hard but because it is beautiful. Splurge on sashimi grade tuna for this – if you can’t find tuna that looks like these photos (bright pink and happy) talk to me… I have a fish guy.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Serves: 10 as an appetizer
- two sashimi grade tuna steaks, cut into small chunks (cut against the grain of the fish and chop more finely for a milder tartare)
- 2 small ripe avocados cut into small chunks (a little bigger than the size of the tuna)
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- 2-3 red chiles depending how spicy you want it (ALWAYS taste peppers first – if the spice makes you cry when it touches your tongue I assure you the pain will be worse when you waste all that fine tuna!)
- 3 green onions finely minced
- 1-2 tbs of red chilli jelly
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- About half a tsp each S&P
- about 2tbs of lime juice – I do one or two limes depending on how juicy they are
- zest of one small lime (a scant teaspoon)
- Combine all the ingredients – preparing avocado and tuna last.
- Give the bowl a stir.
- Serve with two pieces of crostini in individual cups.